Monday, May 4, 2009

Economy

Last weekend I made a little road trip to go visit some friends. I had conversation with two friends who got married this summer and moved up north, he to attend Stanford Law and she to begin teaching third grade. They are both smart, funny, and deep. They love Jesus. I adore them.

She had a difficult year learning the ropes but seems to have made a strong impact on her students. I was so proud to hear her talk about the way her heart goes out to her kids, and it made me glad for them. He certainly had his work cut out for him as a first year law student at Stanford. Both are so dedicated. Inspirations to me. She just found out that district budget cuts have left her without employment for next year. He’s heading into his second year. Lots of loans. No free time. No income for next year.

And yet, sitting at coffee with these two people was one of the top three most inspiring things that has happened to me in 2009. They told me the story of filling out their FAFSA forms, leading me through the questions:

Are you a student? Yes

Is your spouse a student? Yes

Have you or your spouse been laid off recently? Yes

Combined annual household income? $0

And so on. Their eyes sparkled as they talked about it. They held hands. She kissed him. They were full of laughter. And that’s because none of that stuff actually matters. They love each other very much. They have found ways to make a strong impact on the needy people around them. They are perfect examples of how to live in an economy of love. And that, I believe, is the meaning of life.

As Anne Sexton says, “For happiness that isn’t shared, I’ve heard, dies young.”

No comments: